Ok I was searching the internet for the purses made from Military uniforms. Well I ran across a blog and her opinion about these purses was not what I expected. She does not agree with the purses and thinks it is disrespectful. I was searchign the internet for these purses because I thought they were cute and was thinking about possibly getting one. I thought they were not only cute but also a way to support our hubby's and the Military in general.
What do some of you think about these? Also, if you know of someone or a website that make these can you let me know. Thanks!
I think they are super adorable, but I don't think you should ever purposely destroy a soldier's uniform. So I guess I'm in between.
ReplyDeleteI think they're great, but I don't agree having the soldiers' ranks on them. I'm fine with using the uniform and having the division patch and all, just not having the rank.
ReplyDeleteI can understand why some people may not agree with destroying a soldier's uniform, but I am planning on getting one made when my husband comes from deployment. I am going to use one of the uniforms that he wore. The uniform he is giving me to use is pretty beat up from deployment and he would be getting rid of it anyway, so I do not think that making a purse out of it is disrespectful. In fact, I think making something that will remind us of how strong we are and what we have been through is much better than getting rid of it!
ReplyDeleteI am having a wife in my FRG make the purse. She taught herself how during deployment!
I personally love the purses! I think it is a great way to show support for a solider! I personally wouldn't use a uniform that someone else has worn, just because I can understand that part of the respect thing, but to use a new one that no one has worn before I don't think is a problem. I actually just ordered mine 3 days ago and I can't wait to get it! The website I ordered from takes a little long than most but I think the quality of the bags looks better and they are a lot cheaper. I got mine from
ReplyDeletehttp://www.custommadebymelissa.com
Check her website out and see what you think!
I personally wouldn't use a uniform that was worn by someone. If they make up the fabric themselves, then it's fine with me. I guess I'm in the middle. I just wouldn't destroy a uniform just to make a purse.
ReplyDeleteI think they are super cute and I am actually planning on getting one as well. I am going to use one of my hubs flight suite's that he had ruined while wearing when working on the car. haha. But I do not think that it is disrespectful at all and I haven't ever heard of people thinking that until now. But I can also see where they would think that. However, If it is a uniform that is going to be thrown away, what is the big deal? I think You should get one for sure. : )
ReplyDeleteX Michel X
I can see her side, but I have no problem with them. I have seen some with rank and a name tape on them. I wouldn't go that far, but I would use one. I actually have some old cami's that I was going to try to do something with. I started making my daughter a dress and part of the skirt is from the uniforms. My husband thought it was cute. He wanted me to make the whole dress out of camis. I think that is a bit much.
ReplyDeleteIf you're concerned about using your husband's uniform (a lot of people mentioned that), they make ACU, multicam, ABU, and whatever the other branches call them. A woman from the Troop's the FRG makes some awesome purses (with or without a uniform). She also makes wallets, backpacks, etc. I saw a little girl with a cute ACU backpack at the hospital the other day. It had polka dots on the inside!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.sewingmysupport.com/
Thanks for all your thoughts. I never thought abotu it being disrespectifuluntil i read this blog. I asked my husband last night and he said its a good idea and doesn't think it is disrespectful. I would never put his rank on it... I don't like that. I also heard they sell that type of fabric at fabric stores... but I think if I did I would one of my husbands uniforms because it means more to me.
ReplyDelete