OK so I have always wanted to post something on the topic of religion... but have always been to scared... to get judged, to get a bunch of rude comments, to lose followers. It is such a touchy topic with a lot of people but I watched Glee tonight and I just got inspired to write MY OPINIONS about it.
I do not believe in any religion. I don't believe in God or Jesus or Allah or Yahweh or any of those. I don't understand anything in the bible or whatever books are out there. I know more about Christianity than any other religion so I will probably use more Christian terms than any other religious terms.
When I told my old manager at work about two years ago that I have never been baptized she gasped and said "We NEED to baptize you as soon as possible!" I looked at here with a dumb founded look on my face. I thought to myself "why does she feel the need to baptize me ASAP? I mean I am not contagious to people around me. I don't try to get people to not believe in what they believe. I am not going to "infect" you with my beliefs to not believe in a 'higher power'". Also, who does she think she is to think SHE can baptize me... even if I wanted her to.
I mean, why are people who do believe in a religion, so quick to judge those who do not believe in a religion. I may be wrong and if I am I apologize now, but doesn't the bible say something about not judging people. I don't judge other people who are religious. I understand that people have faith and hope and all that stuff. I understand that some people are religious because of how they are brought up and some are because of events that happened in there life, and I am sure there are many other reasons of why people are religious too. I thought after my father and uncle passed away in the same month when I was in my teens that I might want to start going to church to see if it would help me in anyway. I didn't feel the need to go to church or become religious... I healed on my own. My best friend is religious and so is her family so I am not afraid to be friends with religious people. I understand that people believe that if they believe in said higher power that the will go to heaven or live an after life or whatever it is that they think.
I have gone to church a couple times. I went with my grandma once and with friends other times. I did not agree with half of what was said and didn't understand the other half of what was said. Now some of you or most of you probably don't agree with me and that is fine. To each his own. And you probably don't understand me either... with I don't blame you. I tend to have thoughts in my head that sound so good and then when I try to get them out they get jumbled. But thanks for reading anyway... if you made it this far!
***Once again these are just my opinions and I am sorry if I have offended anyone (not my intentions) and I am sorry if you no longer want to follow me, but I understand if you chose to.
So, what are your beliefs? Do you believe in a higher power?
ReplyDeleteInteresting. While I am a Christian, I wouldn't ever say to anyone who wasn't that they need to immediately be baptized. Because that's between them and God.
ReplyDeleteDo you believe in anything?
So do you classify yourself as Atheist? Believing in nothing..is a belief, right? I can understand what you mean about not believing in a higher power..HOWEVER, you can not deny the fact that the Bible is a great BOOK. I am Catholic,but I don't go to church. I feel like you can be religious in your own way :)
ReplyDeleteI do not believe in a higher power. I believe in evolution I guess you can say.
ReplyDeleteRebekah: I counldn't agree with you more. I do think that is my choice to make and not hers. (and just because she said that, I would never think that ALL religious people say things like that. It was just an example)
A Marine's Wife: I dont classify myself as anything really. I just know I don't classify myself as any specific religion. I just believe in evolution. I also agree with you that you can be religious in your own way.
I know what you mean about believing in evolution. I think I believe in a mix of a few different things. You can't deny science! Or history. It's all very confusing! I took a lot of religious history classes in college (why? not sure!) so I can totally understand where you are coming from :)
ReplyDeleteA Marine's Wife: Yes I believe in evolution because of the science behind it. I am the type of person who believe things because of facts. I have asked so many questions about religion and the answer I normally get is "you just gotta have faith". I can have faith until I am blue in the face but I still wont believe or understand until I have facts and science. But I guess that is just me! :) I just wish it was more accepted in the world. But I guess that is why I wrote this post finally. (so atleast my 44 followers can read a different perspective)
ReplyDeleteI also thought about this last night when I was laying in bed. Now people probably think i am some crazy person out there who does drugs and wears dark colors and all that is normally associated with people who are not religious. But I am not. I am normal. (yes occassionaly I paint my nails black but thats only because it is in style these days... I don't do it to be a rebel!) :)
To be honest, I'm not sure what I believe in, but what I am sure of and what I can say I most definately believe is that if there is a God, he would love everyone regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, you name it and he would not send any of his kiddies to hell. I also believe that if there is a God he would want you to be a good person because you want to be a good person not because some book tells to be. I believe that the bible is a "big fish" story. You know the stories that over time become more and more epic as the years go on. I can not prove or dis-prove that there is a or is not a God. I try and live my life in as a good person as someone I can say I'm proud of. I do not like organized religion, but I have no problem with people having faith in a God. I think organized religion is the root of all evil.(I was raised Catholic went to private schools most of my life) There is nothing wrong in my eyes in believing in God. I just don't like it when people use the bible and religion to pass judgement and tell people what they are doing or how they live their lives is a sin or that their morality is in question.
ReplyDeleteTasha I couldnt agree more with your last statement "I just don't like it when people use the bible and religion to pass judgement and tell people what they are doing or how they live their lives is a sin or that their morality is in question" And I think that is what always bothered me in the past. I actually had aguy come up to me and my friends one day and tell us that we live in God world and everything we use and have isn't ours, its God's. Like the cars we drive and houses we own are not ours... He said that God is loaning them to us. This guy just walked staright up to us at a restraunt and pulled up a chair and sat down and started telling us this stuff. He told us how we need to live our lives (by the bible) He said a bunch of other stuff that I cannot remember but he made my other two friends start crying because they felt bad and felt that they owed Jesus, or God or whoever it is, everything because they dont act "christianly" enough. He was determined to make me cry but I didn't because I didn't buy into the bs that he was saying. I think that situtation had a lot to do with the way I feel about this topic.
ReplyDelete