Sunday, April 25, 2010

Best Book for Military Spouses

Ok I wrote a post about this on Milspouse but I will write it here for my 9 followers! :)

Ok, I bought this book called "Married to the Military" by Meredith Leyva. This is the BEST book for new or not new military spouses. It has so much info from, tricare, finances, career, education, legal residency, PCS resources, and soo much more. I have read so many posts on Milspouse about trying to get away from abusive spouses and no one know what to do... well that info is in this book. There have been posts about not having enough money until next payday and not knowing what to do... well that info is in this book too. There is a chapter on preventing "trouble in paradise". There is a whole chapter on military acronyms and jargon. It truly is a great book.

I have highlighted and tabbed so many different pages! The only complaint I have is that the book does not come in a hardcover (from what I have seen so far... but if you know where to get it in a hardcover please let me know).

10 comments:

  1. I've read it and it is great!! There are so many little things that a person just wouldn't know and this book spells it out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that is why I love it! I keep texting the hubster and saying "did you know..."!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it's a good book! I just looked it up on Amazon, and it looks like a lot of people gave it 1 star for one reason or another. So, it's only got 3 stars. I have heard really good things about it, but it was published after I became a milspouse, and hadn't heard of it (until recently), so I haven't ever read it.

    I did just recently read the Air Force Wives Handbook just out of curiosity. LOL! It was ok, and even though it was supposedly the updated and revised version, it was still a bit outdated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You should check out http://wingsconference2010-efbevent.eventbrite.com/ for information on a Military Spouse Conference being held in May.

    Oh, and, Military OneSource offers up to 10 free books a year! Check them out and see if there's any you would like!

    And, just an added FYI, Congress passed the Military Spouse Residence Relief Act in Nov.2009, so military spouses can maintain legal residency in their home state (as long as they continue to meet the residency requirements of that state). So, when you move to VA, you will be able to pay income tax, vote, etc. in your current state (if you choose).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is the updated version. I think it was revised in 2009. I remember the bad reviews on amazon too and I think that is why I didn't buy it on there. But I saw it at borders and I read a little of it there... It was good! I will definitely have to check out this websites and take advantage of the 10 free books! :) That makes me so excited!

    Oh and I live in Cali so I dont think I want to make it my legal residence bc it is soooo expensive! Maybe VA is better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi new friend! A friend of mine bought me the book before me and Danny got married..it was so much help when it came to certain things. Other things...I think it's better to figure out for yourself! But I did love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww yay!! More followers are always exciting. NOw I just need to write baout more interesting stuff for you guys to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a newbie follower. Saw you on Marine Wife's post. I love your blog. I'm gonna have to check out that book. Fantastic.

    ♥ Mrs. S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks! I thought my blog was pretty boring... but if you like then that makes me very happy! I haven't had much to write about lately but I am hoping to get some good inspirations soon!

    ReplyDelete